HISTORY OF GLASBURY HOUSE
The history of Glasbury House as an Outdoor Activity Centre dates back to 1963. However, photographs and documents in the house that give a glimpse into its past further than that.
Glasbury House was first built sometime in the mid eighteenth century as far as records show. It was home to several families over the years, one of the first being the Hughes family from 1738 until 1848. The Papendiek family followed who then married into the Vulliamy family. The Vulliamy’s were famous clockmakers in the 18th and 19th century and then also well known architects in the 19th and 20th centuries.
The family owned the house until 1954, until it was eventually bought by Ilford Borough Council and the London Borough of Redbridge in 1963. It was the London Borough of Redbridge that then turned it in to an outdoor activity centre.